News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Happy Birthday To CAROL!!!


-----My all time favorite pic of Carol and beautiful Lake Mutanda!!!!!!!!!!


Dear Friends
I had decided after my wonderful Christmas holiday overnight with Diana and Bert, that Lake Mutanda was the place to celebrate Carol’s Birhtday. So the plans were made, the cake was ready and our wonderful hospital driver Damecen drove us to our destination .

The crew consisted of Carol, myself , Robina and Justine, my Supervisor and friend.. I wanted it to be a simple celebration of Carol, new friends and old, and ladies only-smile.

When you arrived there, you either have to walk down a rather steep hill or an even longer distance, but flat to reach the Lake, where you are , hopefully, picked up by a pontoon boat and whisked off to the Lodge. We arrived at the Lodge via the hill but left via the boat. In either case, you best have your walking shoes on, or you’ll find it a difficult hike.

Carol enjoying sunset on Lake Mutanda
When you arrived there, you either have to walk down a rather steep hill or an even longer distance, but flat to reach the Lake, where you are , hopefully, picked up by a pontoon boat and whisked off to the Lodge. We arrived at the Lodge via the hill but left via the boat. In either case, you best have your walking shoes on, or you’ll find it a difficult hike.

I had arranged a simple birthday luncheon for the four of us and the employees all joined in for a chorus of Happy Birthday, Ugandan style. It was raining off and on and quite chilly but following our luncheon, we huddled into our Tent for conversation and a few simple gifts before Damecen again took Robina and Justine back to the Hospital, while Carol and I enjoyed this beautiful place.
Carol blowing out the ? amt. of candles on her cake while Justine cheers her on.

The gentleman who built and runs this Lodge is named Powerman (yep, his Mom actually gave him that name-smile) He gives me and my guest a special (missionary) rate, as there is no way I could afford the average $100.00 a night rate. So for about 55,000 shilling a day ($35.00) I get room (in this case a self –contained tent) and three delicious meals a day. Besides all his other talent Powerman is a gourmet cook and I
actually tried and loved “pumpkin soup”.

It certainly may not have been Carol’s most raucous birthday party ever but I hope it was one she’ll always remember.
The next day before we set off on our journey to Rwanda to “fetch” Bill and trek the gorilla’s ( in the mist or otherwise) we took a canoe ride is a hallowed out tree truck, which besides being a real treat was also a bit scary as a storm started brewing before we were safe on land again.





Enjoy the photos and check back next week for the next chapter in “Marie and Carol’s Ugandan Adventure Continues”.-------------Marie








Carol sitting in our Lake Mutanda Tent admiring her shawl and bag--gifts from Robina(sitting behind her)




























2 Comments:

  • At Sun Apr 27, 03:32:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Happy Belated Birthday Carol....

     
  • At Tue Apr 29, 12:02:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Joyful belated Birthday Carol and for all the year ahead. You will never forget this one. What a treasure. What a friendship between you and Marie. That's what we all love about you, Marie. You make the most extraordinary moments out of ordindary stuff of life and it all turns into a celebration somehow. Thank you for these wonderful little touches and big expressions of selfless love, dear and true friend of so many.Your day is approaching and I truly wish I was there to shower you some reciprocal goodness. You in our hearts and we are praying for you daily. mj and kj

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home