News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Marie and Carol's Ugandan Adventure continues


Behind the Huge Stork is the building I hid from the "Hippo's "!








Dear Friends
This blog is a picture gallery of the first part of my Adventure with Carol, but primarily of our time at Murchison Falls and Lake Mburo. We camped out all three night, but the first two were in a small tent (Murchison Falls) and the third in a large tent with two full size twin beds(Lake Mburo).
Both places elicited lots of laughing about Hippo’s and Wart Hogs and the difference between the two. I had seen these awful pics fellow missionary Diana had taken of Hippo bites and was quite aware they were considered the most dangerous of animal to humans, especially if you get between them and the water. So, I kept my distance, viewing them from a safe distance while they were swimming or from a boat

Well, we had been told not to leave any food products in our tent at night, as the Wart Hogs would tear apart a tent for a crumb of food. Knowing that the trail for both the Hippos and Wart Hogs went right past our tent, I dutifully left “sweet” snacking for the daytime
.
One evening while Sheba was teaching Carol drumming and Halimah attempted to teach me to dance Rwandan style, I noticed from the corner of my eye two large Hippos coming toward us from the trail. I ran (not such a bright thing to do in any case) behind a nearby building , as I was definitely between them and the water. I was comparatively hidden but couldn’t understand why no one else had chosen to escape a potential Hippo bite, but were, instead, all laughing hysterically. ..
Since Carol video taped the entire fiasco, I may as well admit that they were not Hippos, but , rather, two VERY large Wart Hogs, just out for an evening stroll.. Hence the laughter from my audience, as I scurried behind a very small building.


Then the next night at Lake Mburo we ask a Game Warden if anyone had ever been eaten by a Hippo there. He replied “Lots of people, but never him”, having thought we had ask if anyone had eaten Hippo, not BEEN eaten by a Hippo, which again caused a major laughter attack.
When he then took us to our tent ( it was pitch dark by then) we quickly realized we were ALONE in the middle of nowhere, again aside the wild games evening trail.. He assured us that the kerosene lantern (pictured in Carol’s hand) would protect us from any night time prowlers. What we didn’t know was the lamp burned out by midnight and what we indeed realized the next morning was that the Very LOUD, Very CLOSE Roar we heard at 3am was indeed a Hippo (or Hippo’s) walking past our tent..

On our way to our last stop (Lake Bunyoni) on Part One of our adventure, We did the Tourist stop of getting our pictures taken at the Equator line. It really is pretty cool (now that’s a pun for ya) to be able to straddle the equator line. I captured a mini video of the demonstration they do of how the water flows one way on one side of the Equator and the other way on the other side by using a flower petal, then they finish it off by showing how that same petal gets sucked straight down, when the demonstration is done on the Equator line .
--------Sorry, guess you’ll just have to take my word for it.
So, please enjoy all the Wild Game and wilder women (not really-smile). Next time you’ll get to celebrate Carol’s Birthday (and Carol) with me. Then we move onto picking up Bill at Kigale Airport in Rwanda and all our Adventures there, primarily trekking Mountain Gorilla’s.
Stay tuned! !!!
---------------Marie--------- ..






















5 Comments:

  • At Sun Apr 13, 06:33:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Marie the photos are really great. Im glad your able to learn so much about the people and the cultures while there.

    I had surgery to have some temporary wires put in my back and I wore like a tense unit around for a few days as it was to see if if would get my bladder to urinate as I have problems emptying my bladder. Since the temprary wires worked out great. I go in for surgery in the middle of May to have the permanet wires and unit put in my body as it will get to pee on a regular basis without having to cath myself.

    Take care and keep in touch.
    Terri Harris

     
  • At Sun Apr 13, 08:11:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Marie, Love each one of these blogs, and can't wait for the next installment. Thanks. I was glad to get a copy of the latest update through Jabber X 3. I have one SVN machine for all the kiddos at the school and know how precious it is. I will put a word out. Also I found a place through the School Nurse Catelog that has new ones for $42.00 + S & H. What was the outcome of Dr. Sam's arrival to check in on the new admission? I'm glad you have taken on this new project of obtaining and recording daily vitals for the pediatric ward. People don't realize how important this is and what gets discovered through doing this. It sounds like you are the one that gets things done! Hope you are well and that you received my long e mail, catching up. Will write another soon with more recent dialogue rather than reporting past happenings. Sending love and joy. mj

     
  • At Sun Apr 13, 11:52:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    ReRe:

    You need to get out more! Hippos are vegetarians.

    When they kill you, they leave you for the crocs to eat!

    Great pictures, keep them coming.

    Anonymous Cousin George

     
  • At Mon Apr 14, 08:47:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Extremely entertaining. We moved Wilma into her new place Friday. Breaking for lunch and going to the dining room. James had lunch with her today (4/14) while I had to go get a message as I have been on my back for the past two days. I'm slowing recovering. We love Wilma more and more everyday. I'm so thankful for the gifts that God bestows upon us, in what ever fashion they may be. Your adventures continue to amaze me. I think I'm watching The Animal Kingdom. You keep um coming. Hosted a benefit show Friday evening to raise money for the walk. My aka was the Hostess. Had a super time. Ran two hours long and kept everybodys attention. We raised $829.00. Take care and send my love to Carol.

     
  • At Thu Apr 17, 12:29:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Have quite missed out the fun and the adventure stories. Sorry, been quite busy and our internet services were having some hiccup. You are indeed a wonderful writer. So interesting that if only you could think of a write up. Ever heard of "Gulliver's Travels" or something like that. Bye for now - Thorn

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home