News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Sunday, April 06, 2008

--Today is a MICHAEL Day !!


Dear Friends Sunday-------------- April 6, 2008

I have this thing about doing Blogs in sequence of events, which I just must break today, as Baby Michael and I are on such a high, we just must share the JOY!

There is a girls secondary school not far from here called St. Gertrude’s, where hundreds of girls attend, most , if not all, board. It is quite a lovely school with well kept grounds , dedicated Religious Sisters and Lay Teachers and my priest and friend, Fr. John DeVinney says Mass there a couple of times a week, always on Sundays at 11:30am.

Well, Fr. John had told the girls about Baby Michael months ago and they had made a collection for his formula, as well as keeping him in there hearts and prayers. Fr. said now that Michael was bigger and stronger, would I consent to bringing him to Mass one Sunday, and today was the day. ----------------------------------
Maria Goretti ,Michael and Me Christening Day- Palm Sunday March 16, 2008



I Adore this photo of Michael! Carol calls this Michael in Blue. I even have it as my screen saver.


What an experience to have hundreds of girls chanting “MICHAEL, MICHAEL” as we entered the church. They all wanted to flock around him and touch him, but we kept it down until the Offertory, when Fr. John announced the collection was for Michaels needs and Michael would be on the alter for each girl to see when she came up (people come up to the front and deposit their offering into a basket , rather than passing a basket around).-------------------------
Me and Michael and his Faternal Grandmother outside awaiting the Palm Sunday Procession.--------------------------------------------------
Don't ya just love the look on Michaels face? I am not quite sure he approved of my lipstick that day(smile).

Before I sat down, I said Michael had something to say and as I whispered something in his ear and he mine (OK, that’s stretching it a bit) I said Michael ask me to shout “WAKOZE CHANE” which means “Thank you so much” which brought cheers of laughter and appreciation that both Michael and Mama Michael made an attempt to speak Rufumbira (their local language).

It was a glorious day that this mini Child of God, born at 0.9 Kg. (less than 2 pounds), three months early( 6 months into the pregnancy) was now a 9 lbs bouncing boy.. He is actually almost 9 months old but Sr. Vastina refuses to allow me to count his age that way. She insists he is 6 mo. old (she says you count from when he “should” have been born, not when he was born.). He is certainly not up to par with a 6 mo old, except cognitively, which I think he is closer to his actual 9 mo of age..

Outside following Mass was just as jubilant and and I started to wonder just how much this sweet baby could tolerate, but he held out to the very end, thrilling all with his graciousness (can a baby be gracious?). In any case, this was a Michael Day and he knew it and loved every minute of it.

When we arrived home he devoured ½ his bottle before exhaustion overcame him and he fell asleep mid suck (ha).

Again, I realize this Blog preceeded the Baptismal Day Blog, which besides being Palm Sunday, was also another” Michael Day”, but I just had to share this festive occasion. .

Blessing and Joy from Michael and Mama Michael
And as Michael said earlier “Wakoze Chane” ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the Religious Sisters did this to Michael at the end of Mass when everybody was dancing. It reminded me of that well known scene from Roots
.






4 Comments:

  • At Sun Apr 06, 03:41:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh, Marie - how wonderful. I felt as if I was there and l-o-v-e the photos!! What a special God-blessed day. Much love to you and Michael. -clw

     
  • At Sun Apr 06, 04:37:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Boy that was a day to remember. I know you will place copies of all of this in an album for him to enjoy at a later date. I bet you felt like one of the celebrities on the "red carpet" as you strolled into the church and to the front. Love that lavendar outfit you are wearing. Looks just beautiful. I must say, if it was the lipstick that caused him to puker that was a classic. What a great moment. Thanks for sharing.

    Love ya Always
    Brian

     
  • At Sun Apr 06, 08:26:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hurray for Michael and mama Michael Day! The pictures made me cry and rejoice. Thank you so much for sharing all of this. These pictures speak volumes in praise and thanksgiving. We are sending our prayers, love and alleluia's! Much joy, mj

     
  • At Wed Apr 09, 10:12:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Marie,
    It is late here and I will now go to bed with a smile on my face.
    It is great to see Michael growing and what a festive day at church.
    we are all well here enjoying the spring. Ari turned 2 march 21st.
    My mother is doing remarkable.
    Asa said today that he does not want a baby brother anymore. They play and fight as brothers should. I miss you very much. Love, Rebecca

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home