News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Friday, March 20, 2009

-WHO IS BARTON BROOKS?

Dear Friends

Last Weekend was quite the adventure for me and several others: It was friday night and I received a phone call from a Nursing student telling me an American Man had been in a motorcycle acident and was now in surgery.
So, being the dutiful "American Nurse Caregiver of Uganda-ha" I rushed to theatre (Surgical Ward) to check it out. It seems he and a friend had been hit by a vehicle and the Ugandan friend, though injuried, was not as badly hurt as the American.
----Anthony, the Ugandan was in pain with a broken arm, which would be repaired the next day, but since he is , maybe, the sweetest man alive, his only concern was his friend Barton.
---When Barton arrived in his private room , he was confused and in a great deal of pain, as our wonderful surgeon from Holland, Dr. Robert, was only able to stabablize his fractured leg and wrist as we do not have the necessary equipment (pins etc.) for the needed surgery and the X-ray tech was too inhibriated to take decent photo's (smile).
---Hearing my American english was a comfort to Brooks and he latched onto my voice like a lifeline, which is totally understandable when you are soooo far from home and in pain.
Barton just wanted to "go to the States "which though understandable, was impractical.
That is when our dear new American MD Dr. Lou Coda, can galloping to the rescue: On Saturday, he must have made a 100 calls gathering information from the American Embassey, Barton's friends and family and local contacts. What a great job he did! So much so that an airplane awaited us at Kisoro airfield on sunday to whisk Barton to Kampala for surgery and care.
There were, of course, many difficulties but for me the main issue was getting decent pain control for Barton. Uganda still has the mindset that addiction is a primary concern, so injections were few and far between.
I am sorry to say the nursing students saw a side of me they had previously not encountered; resulting in harsh words, while I tried to relive this mans pain. Again Dr. Coda came to the rescue, ordering Demerol and Phenergan q4 hrs, instead of four times a day.
----I knew friday nite and only just read about his journey to Uganda and his work here, last nite (Thur) on the Internet.
--- He is quite an interesting guy and thought his NGO Global Colors has a website I was more successful in reading about him on another site called http://www.guerrillaaid.com/
----Barton is now now recovering from extensive surgery in Kampala and since my friend Robina works there, I am able to keep tabs on his recovery.

So many awesome pics were taken of our weekend adventure, but none with my camera, so I eagerly await copies. But until then just click onto his sites and imagine the journey of riding in an open back small truck with Brooks on a stretcher, six of his friends doing the lifting and me sitting on the side of the truck holding a glass IV bottle up in the air-ha. WHAT A SITE !!!!!!
---------------------------Marie


-----Who is BARTON BROOKS? Barton Brooks founded Global Colors http://www.globalcolors.org/ and continues to run day to day operations. He strongly adheres to the principle that if you think something should be done, well then, figure out a way to just go and do it. My story: I founded Global Colors after years of volunteer work and international travel, starting with a couple of years in London before studying political history and theology in Israel and the Middle East. I developed an insatiable case of wanderlust and explored Europe, North America, South America, Asia, and Africa - and in the process, became acutely aware of the individual needs that plague our world. Traveling to take pictures and collect souveniers started feeling a bit hollow, and it was in Cambodia where I finally was inspired to make a difference. I changed my life to reflect that, and started my little organization to just do random acts of service around the world. I started creating projects, and to make it all happen sold my only asset (a Shelby Cobra replica that I built by hand) to personally fund the first GC projects. I'll still cry about that car if you catch me on the wrong day, but that beautiful hunk of metal became an education for kids in Cambodia, and changed the lives of some beautiful women in Kenya. So in reality, it was a no-brainer...

10 Comments:

  • At Fri Mar 20, 09:43:00 AM , Blogger Toni said...

    Thank you for posting this. But more importantly, thank you for taking care of Barton. He is one of my dearest friends. You are an angel.

     
  • At Fri Mar 20, 09:57:00 AM , Blogger Joy Haynes said...

    Thank you! Thank you for being there for Barton and for taking care of him. And thank you for sharing it with us.

     
  • At Fri Mar 20, 10:01:00 AM , Blogger hendywow said...

    You are a true Hero, Barton is my cousin and friend, our family is very grateful that wonderful people like you were there for him, when are so far away! God bless you and you're important work.

     
  • At Fri Mar 20, 03:55:00 PM , Blogger Ilene Hacker said...

    I appreciate you so much, first for caring for our friend Bart, and secondly for letting us know more details about his treatment at the hospital. You were there for a reason. Thank you very very much. I have known Bart since he was a young boy. It is sad that this happened to him. His brother, Darin, said that he is now with Bart along with their mother. They plan to get him to New York City for further treatment.

    Thank you for being a great person!!

     
  • At Sat Mar 21, 12:44:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dear Marie, The circle never ends! It just gets wider and wider, with more amazing discoveries, like a cosmic spiral (think Hubble photos). What another confirmation that simply saying 'yes', letting go and being who you are, where you are, and in the will of the ONE who orchestrates it all, is the MOST awesome way to be and live out each day. May the Lord continue to keep you safe, joyous, availabe and open. We love you back here in the US and continue to pray for you and take counsel on how to more present and accoutable in the space in which we are planted, for now...love and hugs, mj

     
  • At Sat Mar 21, 03:53:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What an awesome opportunity to have been a part of this beautiful mans life story. You continue to amaze me as I read "The Adventures of Marie". Take care of yourself and I am looking forward to your next journey.

    Love you always

     
  • At Thu Mar 26, 01:04:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hello marie,it amazed me at how the beauty of one woman can make a man so much in pain afford a smile.you know what marie,my arm really pained while at the hospital but i tried so hard to pretend fine because the pain barton was in was so much,i remember crying so much with barton,until when a nurse told me to stop in middle of the night.marie i will l live to love what you did for us and i thank God i decided to bring barton to your hospital after the accident.you did not only give your love but also you opened your heart for two strangers in gross pain,God bless you.will send some pics that were taken when i get a strong internet connection.my arm is fair now,but my head is full of worries about barton.anthony

     
  • At Fri Apr 17, 08:36:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    "Divine Love always has met and always will meet EVERY HUMAN NEED." You are Divine Love Marie. Thank you for your love and calmness. Not only was Barton touched by you, but everyone connected to him.

     
  • At Sat Dec 04, 01:20:00 AM , Anonymous filthy teen sex stories said...

    ``Where are your friends now. I saw John begin to move into a more upright position, his new breaststauntingly out of reach.
    virgin sex stories
    free masturbation stories
    herfirst lesbian sex stories
    sex stories of girl dog
    women and beastiality stories
    ``Where are your friends now. I saw John begin to move into a more upright position, his new breaststauntingly out of reach.

     
  • At Sat Dec 04, 04:06:00 AM , Anonymous free beastiality erotic stories said...

    He could be injured. I need to get out there and do something.
    free stories adult
    male gay first time stories
    beastiality stories for free
    nifty gay male stories
    free first time sex stories
    He could be injured. I need to get out there and do something.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home