News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Friday, January 16, 2009

--Once Upon A Time


Dear Friends

Once upon a time in a land far away, there lived an American missionary named Marie or Maria or Mary or even Mzunu (depending on who was conversing with her). Most of the time she was a happy missionary, skipping to work each morning to help those whom God put into her path that day but occasionally (only occasionally –smile) she felt discouraged or frustrated because of language (communications) and/or cultural difficulties and yesterday was one of those days.

In the Public Health Dept. was needed a roll of cotton (or” pamba ). She spent from 9am in the morning to 5 pm at night running hither and thither (thither?) to obtain this elusive roll of cotton, finally holding it in her hands at 5pm when the Public Health Dept. had closed for the day, meaning she needs to deliver it and accomplish yet one last step (getting a # from Public Health and taking it to the Pharmacy to file), on her day off.

Hum, the moral of this lesson is not yet clear: Is it to simply to purchase the cotton herself at 3,000 shillings ($2.00) or could it be to learn yet another lesson in patience and thank God for the exercise (about 4 miles of walking from hither to thither) ? Ha,, only time will tell !
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seemingly between all the trekking and waking at 4:30 in the am the last two mornings with a very awake Baby Michael, exhaustion overtook me and I fell asleep while watching a DVD (The Great Escape—one of my all time favorite movies) at 6:30pm last evening. When I awoke the movie was over, with cookie crumbs on my shirt, I somehow changed into my pj’s , put the mosquito net on my bed and quickly returned to LaLa land-HaHa.










Michael was returned to Potters Village yesterday following a funfilled week of smiles, wonderful sounds of unintelligible words and lots of chasing after a crawling, skirt hanging onto, stand up toddler. My favorite memories are Michael dressed in a red vest, black pants and shoes crawling around the church and clapping his hands at Sunday Mass, as well as the morning cuddles that makes it impossible to stay mad at him for more than a minute. He is doing so well and seems to remember me, though we were separated by my 6 weeks absence in the States.

My first week back to work was joyous as I was truly missed and it felt like “coming home” Please, you, my dear friends and family in the States, don’t be hurt by this statement. I loved seeing and spending time with all of you, but I sometimes felt useless, as if I were just taking up space and time in your busy lives. Uganda is “home” now because it is where I have been Called to serve. I thank God that I am as healthy as I have ever been, have enough energy to chase a toddler or a roll of cotton all day long and get to hold and love-on sick children every day. Doesn’t get much better than that!






Jan. 31st is the AIDS Orphans Party and Doll giving day and I can hardly wait.. Over 60 dolls have been sent from the States to give to the children and I have been busy sorting them and getting them ready for this grand event. Finally the girls will have what is probable not only their first doll, but a doll of color. How thrilling!
In the future we will have a boys day with gifts of mini cars or balls or any other suggestions (smile) ?

I have kept a few specific dolls for chronically ill children in the Pediatric Ward , as well as a stuffed animal or two. Joan Dickerson gave me some finger puppets which I can use to communicate procedures to the children, not needing to makeshift with a pen and a thermometer, as I have in the past.(Ha)

It has taken me two years to realize that Uganda does actually have two seasons, not just the dry and rainy ones but summer and winter as well. Certainly not to the degree that we experience but when it is summer in the States, it is “winter” here, requiring a scarf or a light jacket in the mornings or evenings, stripping down in midday. Similarly, when it is winter in the States, it is “summer” here, rarely needing even a sweater. I own two pairs of shorts but I only wear them as house wear, never leaving my yard. Sandals are worn all year round (for those of us who wear shoes at all-ha) but in the “winter” I often add socks, looking quite dorky but feeling equally as comfortable.

Hope you enjoy the photos of an ever growing Baby Michael. He was on the payroll this week, as we have two tiny premature babies in the Nursery and his presence was requested to encourage the Moms as they cared for their bitty babies. It worked, as both Mamas’ were full of smiles yesterday.

I wish your week to also be full of smiles and perhaps even a hearty laugh or two.
---------------------------Marie

,


Is
-Michael
---spiffy
--or what
-------in his
------red vest
----black pants
---+ black shoes?







3 Comments:

  • At Sun Jan 18, 04:52:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dear Friend, Your words, and sentiments are understood. I do understand what it means that 'Home' is where ever you are being and doing what God has invited you to join Him in. It is a beautiful thing to embrace this loving detachment, and still be fully alive and present in whatever relationship/situation you are in. I loved the two latest blogs. Listening to a brief recap of you trip state side amazed me in how you were able to have so many awesome connections and expeiences.
    Michael does look dapper and happy. His ability to continue to thrive refects the love and special care he has received from day one. Thank you for your 'yes' in His life. I'm excited to see the pictures of the "doll party" coming up.
    You continue to be in my heart prayers with bunches of love, joy and encouragement. By the way, this is not a big thing in the larger picture, but the Arizona Cardinals are going to the Super Bowl, which is just another of those miracles that make you feel good all over. A cinderella story. I was able to hear Kurt Warner at a Church service and His love for God, his wife 7 kids, fellow players, team, friends and live is an inspiration. He is a truly authentic child of God.
    Will talk to you again, soon. Love and hugs, mj and kj

     
  • At Mon Jan 19, 05:00:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I know you are happy to be home. just as much as they are happy that you have returned home.

    Love you

     
  • At Wed Jan 21, 07:14:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Michael is so cute!!!! He looks so happy that you are home.
    Great clothes you got him. cjk

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home