News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Friday, March 13, 2009

Meet my new neighbors--The Coda Family!

----------------From Left: Me--Marty- Anthony-Dr. Lou and John Coda


Dear Friends
This is such a busy, but happy, time for me ----as I now have American neighbors—The Coda Family---for (almost) 6 months. This wonderful family has warmly accepted me and in only 10 days we are swapping meals, lending pots and pans and last Sat. we had our first “Movie Nite” What fun as we fought playfully on the decision of which movie to view, then with popcorn popped and soda’s chosen, we were all seated theatre style watching “Meet Joe Black” from the hospital projector. Going to the movies has been one of the top things I have missed since arriving in Uganda, but no more!

When the power went of for about 20 min. , no one panicked, we just rearranged out seats to all view the battery operated computer from which the movie originated. A great time was enjoyed by all!

-----Let me tell you about the Coda’s: Dr. Lou Coda or” Louie” is the Pediatrician of a lifetime! He is knowledgeable, yet not the least bit afraid to “look it up in the World Health Book”, should he question a diagnosis or appropriate treatment. The nursing students just love his easy going manner and willingness to share his experience with them. Having already done two stints as missionaries for Medical Doctors Association (MDA)---a sister organization to Lay Mission Helpers (LMH), he is quite familiar with the destruction Malaria + AIDS has caused in Africa.

His wife Martha or “Marty” is the glue that keeps this family from unraveling, with two college age girls in the States and two teenage boys who have joined them here in Uganda. John, age 16 years and Anthony nearing age 13 yrs., are both bright guys and have arranged to “home school” while here.

My Printer-Copier-Scanner is finally paying off , as Chemistry homework finds it’s way from paper to Scanner, to flash stick and eventually is emailed to the States

Last Sunday at Mass, I had the honor of introducing the Coda’s to my church family at St. Francis Hospital Chapel. Fr. John Vianney, our Chaplain, was warm and welcoming, thanking the family and God for the gift of their time and talents

Lots more about their stay her in Mutolere to come, but for now I must close as tomorrow Marty and I are having a girls day out in Kisoro.(smile).

===================Blessings
----------------------------------Marie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home