News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Monday, December 03, 2007

--------------------AIDS KILLS-------


Dear Larry and Carolyn

Thanks so very much for forwarding the John Kerry letter, It felt so personal, as if he were writing it just for me, for you, for each of the many people that received it.

He, apparently, is not running this term, but do you think he would be considered Vice Presidential by Hillary or Barack?. I would love to see both John Kerry and Al Gore in the white house, in any decision making capacity.

It is interesting, but living so far away I really give little thought to politics, not even knowing much about the political arena here in this country, except that the President. has been President forever and want to be until he dies. It seems most Ugandans are quite content with that idea because even with upper government corruption etc. He still seems to be running the country well.

As you know Uganda has the best rate of decline in HIV-AIDS of any African country, primarily because President Museveni, unlike the leaders of South Africa, was willing to face the problem head on in the early nineties. Education about AIDS , as well as Education in general, is a big thing here and most schools, whether Faith based or not, are government assisted..

Yesterday, World AIDS Day, was initially a bit of a disappointment for me as the only people wearing red ribbons were the ones I had made and given (literally pinned to them). But, by the grace of God, sheer determination and stubbornness, I made it something special for the children from the AIDS Orphans Program. I dug up a few colored pencils, crayons and paints, bought a huge package of cheap paper and after a co-worker translated a short talk I gave about World AIDS Day, emphasizing World every bit as much as AIDS, we set them in circles of varying age group and they set about drawing pictures. I rummaged my home for anything they could use (found small bottles of paint and colored paper Mary Johns had sent, all the stick pins and tiny nails you folks had sent, and some colored pens that I had bought in Kisoro. It was a great success but now I need more stick pins, tiny nails and someday in a Care pk. all the crayons, colored pencils and paints you can find on sale at Walmart (for future projects)..

It was interesting to watch; as in the beginning they didn’t know what to do except grab a colored pencil or two or three and horde them. Following several lessons in what

“ Sharing “ is; they simply do not understand the concept. It is not as if they are being mean, they just have so little, that a colored pencil has so much more value if it is in their hand then being used.

Well they finally got the idea that if there are 10 children using 6 crayons--- sharing becomes not only necessary but optimal, for a colorful outcome-smile. I’ll take some photos and “share” them with you.

Godfrey, Ellie’s friend, is quite talented and insisted he make two, one to be displayed and one to send to Ellie. The primary lessons they learn in school and shared in their art work is” AIDS kills” and don’t discriminate against anyone because they have AIDS or have lost family members from it.

..I had to hold back a smirk when a 6 year olds response to the question ”How do we prevent ourselves and others from getting AIDS was “Be faithful to your Partner”.

Outside all the schools there are many signs that are year round messages, which read” “Do not allow bad touches” “Virginity is healthy” “Do not accept gifts for sex” “AIDS kills, be educated about it.” As well as “Education is the key to success”.

I am not sure if it was in the translation or the general thinking but my message of how important it is to “Remember, those we have lost from the disease, seemed to go unheard. That will be my goal for next year, to get tea light candles, music and teach the children how to “Remember” their parents, aunts, uncles, brothers and sisters they have lost from this disease.

Year three I’ll move onto teaching them how to “Celebrate Their Lives” which I and many others learned so well at” Heartsong” Retreats from Trudy James, Gerry Lane, Patti Briseston ,Eric Camp, Sonny Mosley and most especially Sue Bradley (Our “Madame”)

”... Well I have gone off on a tangent, which considering the time of year and the flood of memories I am having, is understandable. So this letter to Larry and Carolyn Williams has turned into a Blog, possible entitled “AIDS Kills” or “Celebrate Their Lives” Hum what a choice.

I Celebrate the Lives of everyone who is reading this Blog and thank you for caring about me and all those infected and affected by HIV-AIDS

----------------------------Marie------------------------------------

, .

1 Comments:

  • At Mon Dec 03, 03:23:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thank you for remembering. We had a glorious day in Little Rock, AR. First with the ceremony at the Clinton Library, then the service at the Open Door Community Church and a fundraiser to follow that evening which raised $1325.00. The Lord continues to bless. Having a partner with AIDS has opened a door for me that I feel so blessed to have been a part of. We all must continue to Love and pray, regardless..

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home