News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Introducing Michael-My New Love




It has been so long since I have written a Blog and so much has happened I hardly know where to start---so I’ll start at the end (meaning today) instead of the proverbial beginning.
Let me start by telling those of you who do not know that I have “fallen in love” with a premature 3 mo. old named Michael. Michael was named by the nurses in the Nursery (which is also the Maternity Ward) of the hospital where I work, but we only recently became acquainted as I am stationed in the Public Health Building, which is in a separate building.
. He was born the 18th of July, three months early, and his dear mother had a seizure condition and, sadly, died during the birth. Apparently his father has not visited the child and married another woman a week following his birth. The only family member that appears to care what happens to him is his 8 yr. old brother, who started bringing him cows milk whenever he can.
Until a month ago he was being fed with an NG tube, but he apparently fought so hard not to have it that the nurses started syringe feeding him. Now he takes a bottle and he is amazingly strong for a baby that weighed 2 lbs at birth and is now not even 3 lbs .
They had been giving him cow’s milk because formula is very expensive but just yesterday I purchased and made up a formula that will hopefully put some fat on his little body and fill him out a bit , because of the increased calorie intake. Time will tell.
Dr. Jerome, our medical director, had written a letter about Michael’s case that was read at Mass and it was decided that the collection taken today would be for Michael’s needs, which are basic, yet many. He needs formula, clothes that fit his tiny body and blankets (receiving and otherwise) to keep him warm.

Following a small portion of an email I recently wrote to Fr. Louis,BishopCallist’s secretary. and my friend:

Last evening when I went to take formula (Lordy, they are right, it is expensive!)to Michael, the nurses asked me if I would like to take him to Mass with me this am , as there would be a collection taken for him today. I, of course, was delighted and could hardly sleep I was so excited. He was dressed warmly and I carried all 3 lbs of him to church and Father had me bring him up to the altar when the collection was being taken. What joy I felt holding that tiny bundle,a true survivor in the tinniest form.
My camera batteries were down so no photo's to mark the occasion, especially when Maria Goretti appeared and held him in her arms. I may not have that actual photo but it is forever in my mind as a "mental" picture (a phrase someone I love and I coined many years ago).

.....How beautiful to see little children and elderly women with walking sticks and bare feet come to the altar to give their proverbial "last pence” to help this little child of God.
.....It has been a wonderful experience caring for this little one, watching Maria Goretti and our friendship blossom, as well as continuing my Quality Assurance work for the medicines those with HIV-AIDS depend on. And to add to that, this week I will begin the rapid HIV testing on "Outreaches " (being able to test women we were unable to reach before Dr. Kevin from the USA gave us free Rapid HIV- Tests)
.....It is all very exciting and fulfilling and I am very much aware how blessed and fortunate I really am to be in an exquisitely beautiful area of Uganda, or even Africa for that matter, serving gentle loving people who are willing to give their only money for Michaels needs with the consequence of being without a possible treat to eat or even walking miles to town, instead of taking a Boda-Boda( transport with a bicycle or motorcycle..
.......All I ever did as a child to help other children was have “Plays and Entertainment, which I produced, directed and probably starred in (is that right Peggy-ha?) to collect money for Bishop Sheens Poor Pagan Babies (never really having a clue what a poor pagan baby was-smile)And I can assure you that whatever I donated to this precious cause did not include my last cent!
.....Enjoy the photos of Michael and I, especially the one included of his little hand around my finger.
......Blessing to you all and thanks for the personal support and Care packages that are” on the way” for Baby Michael.
........Marie

3 Comments:

  • At Fri Nov 02, 12:49:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Every day indeed is a miracle. What more miracles do you need? To see the dead rise to life? I am sure in this new found love, your faith is going to be strengthened.Thank you for your generosuty, care and love to "Archangel Michael". I am sure the greater defender StMichael the Arcangel will fight all your "wars". Today is All Souls'Day. Remember to commend the dead to the Lord especially those who still need purification to enjoy eternal bliss - Thorn

     
  • At Sat Nov 03, 09:43:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is a beautiful site and I know you are absolutely thrilled. When James and I were in Subiocco, Bro. Mel had mentioned that you had fallen in love with a younger man. He didn't scroll down either because he thought you had fallen in love with a local man that could't speak any english and you just had the language of love between you too. I was stunned but read down and realized it was the miracle of birth that was brought into your path. I am so thrilled by your continual selfishlessness and determination to fulfill God's plan for your life. May God continue to shine His love upon you..

    Love Always.
    Brian

     
  • At Sun Nov 04, 10:24:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I pray for Michael every day. Love you..Love, Rebecca

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home