News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Friday, March 09, 2007

Kisoro -a typical Day March 8, 2007



Women in Kisoro carrying belongings on their heads .
Kisoro is “going to town” for me these days and will be for the next three years
Since it is too far to walk I catch a ride with a hospital driver whenever possible.

I imagine in time I’ll figure it all out but for now it is a bit overwhelming: shopping in the only supermarket in town , the size of my bedroom. Not much choice but I have struck up a repoire with the owners and hope to start getting a few favorites when the husband goes to Kampala “for supplies” Yes, I requested “real butter” and toilet paper that doesn’t feel like creap paper –ha.

I am so hungry for “meat” that the beef hanging up in the markets is almost appealing.
But I know that isn’t safe for a sissy American , so I will settle for a promised chicken in the near future. My helper, Grace, said she would buy one, clean it and cook it for $5,000 .shillings(which is about $2.50),. Can’t wait-smile.

I am having daily language training from Everest, an older man who works at the HIV-AIDS Clinic as a counselor. He is a retired teacher, but after 4 two hour lessons, I think he may be questioning his choice to tutor me-ha. I am certainly not the best of students and languages have never come easily to me, but I am giving it my all.

I attended two meetings of the HIV-AIDS Quality Control group, the second being headed by the MD who is, apparently, ahead of the program. It seems detailed statistical information is required by USAIDS for future funding.

I am sure this is all very important but the truth is that St. Francis Hospital has not, so far, received a penny of this funding, there are only two physicians and the amount of charting on the “flow sheets” is ridiculous..
During this 2 hour meeting(over lunch time) Sr. Justine, the head of the Public Health Dept and HIV-AIDS Clinic, had to leave to give the HIV+ results to a husband and his very pregnant wife. When she returned, it was evident the visiting MD was none too happy about her absence.

I asked about the handouts and was told there was just one copy of each to share. So I offered to make copies with my newly purchased Hewlitt Packard Copy Machine. The Dr.’s and nurses were so pleased , you would have thought it was Christmas!

My friend Carol said the ink cartridges were very expensive and often needed to be replaced and she was correct, as the black and white one is already empty. So,if you would like to send me some ink for the copier , here is the info.Black# 21 Color#22.
Generic is fine and I am able to buy computer paper in “town”-smile

It made me realize that *.THAT is something I can do to help, while learning the language.
So I spoke with Sr. Justine (reminder:Sister just denotes being a nurse, not a religious nun) who was delighted I wanted to be in charge of the “flow charting”, leaving time for the overworked staff to do patient care .I’ll let you know how it turns out
• *Somebody please teach me how to underline!
• .

The people I have met , specifically from the hospital, are just wonderful. So kind and gentle. Last night I had , what could have been , a scary situation.:, I was using the computer in the Administrators office (the only one “on line”) for a couple of hours(dial up and he has a Worm called “Christina Aguillara” that keeps popping up , making it impossible for me to put anything on my flash stick I was walking to the guest house in the dark with only a weak flashlight view (admittedly the Stars are phenomenal!!) when I realized the gate between the hospital grounds and the guest house grounds was locked.
At first I thought I had walked the wrong way(I could see nothing) but as I retraced my steps, I found myself back at the Administration Building from which I had started
I did have my phone but the two #’s I had were”unavailable” (that is exactly what the message says when the phone is turned off), so I had to come up with another plan.
I reached the night guard and after he searched for the night watchman who would have the key and was unsuccessful , he offered to walk me home via another path. So off I went in the pitch black dark following a man I never met before who knows where---
The walk seemed endless through high grass going , what seemed to be, further and further from hospital grounds. It certainly crossed my mind that it may be my last walk anywhere, but with flashlight in one hand and rosary in the other, off I tread.-smile.

It, obviously, all turned out well as I am here to tell the story, but I am thankful to Richard, my guide and God , his guide, for getting me home safely. Now I know to be home by nine pm, when apparently the gates are locked.

Last Spring while I was in South Africa, we Never went anywhere alone, not even men at night. It is so unsafe!. Even so in America. But here, in Uganda, the people truly care about each other and look after one another. It must be here that the expression “I takes a Village” came from..

It remains 70 to 85 degrees here all the time, with evening showers that freshen the air and nurture this fertile land. So fertile that they say anything can grow so I am planning to have my first vegetable garden when I move into my , soon to be ready, home.So when you are sending the copier ink, pack it with seeds for lettuce and green beans etc or just some Charmin would be great-ha.

My address again is Marie McGee
St. Francis Hospital- Mutolere
PO Box # 26
Kisoro
Uganda
Ps- O, today is a national holiday “Woman’s Day” Where have we gone wrong that we don’t celebrate such a day?? .

..

2 Comments:

  • At Sun Mar 11, 12:11:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dear Marie...It is a joy to visit you through your blog and Diana's. The pictures, the description, and mostly the attitude of openness and respect that comes through you, all testify to the grace you carry where ever you go. Thank you my friend, for being so authentic, welcoming and teachable. You are filled with grace and the gift to believe the image of God IS in you and in others and to Trust that God's love and provision is ever present and availble. So you never have to be afraid. He'll even help you learn a new languange. Thank you for showing the rest of us,again, that this lens, in which you experience life, is not Pollyannish or foolish, but attainable. It just takes moment by moment choosing and practicing. It also takes sacrifice and simplicity. That's the hard part. Thanks for giving us a precious handbook for a step by step voyage into this possibility. It seems to be a key to true freedom. So, for now, the best honor I can give you my friend, beside sending TP (folded up, instead of in rolls), chocolate, veggie seeds, etc, is to simply keep practicing in my home, family, neighborhood, and work with the kiddos. Maybe, in a few years, when I'm 62, if I learn to better flow with it, as you are doing, God may trust me to join other parts of His family, for a season. Maybe by then, I'll be prepared to see and hear through His eyes...Meanwhile, we pray for each other, celebrating the journey and ever having grateful hearts for what is closest at hand to care for. much love, mary J (and Ken, too)

     
  • At Mon Mar 12, 09:49:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good work Marie - looks like your getting stuff on the new pretty good. I miss my travel buddy.
    Diana

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home