News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Friday, July 01, 2011

4th of July Celebration in Uganda -2008



Dear Friends ---------a reprint of July 2008


July 4th- America’s Independence Day----in Uganda! What a fun time it was for all. Not just myself and the American Medical students, but two Dutch girls, two German women as well as several young women from the UK. Let’s not forget the Ugandans who lent us their beautiful country in which to celebrate.
I had it in mind that since last Independence Day had come and gone with only a red-white and blue hair ribbon to mark it (except, I did meet Dr. Kevin Dieckhaus who has made it possible for all the medical students to be here, as well as supplying 2,000 Rapid HIV tests for our Outreach Program!), I would have a celebration above and beyond anything Uganda has known for July 4th. And I did!!

-------First I needed to make a homemade barbeque grill from available items, hence the photo of me grilling chicken over two Ugandan Segeries, with the oven rack held up with empty formula cans (that was Michael’s donation). Then the seating was comparatively easy as they are cutting down so many trees here, that I had both seating and firewood to boot. Add a few balloons, a music mix from my computer , a remaining bag of marshmallows to roast and voila’---a gathering of which any American could boost


4th of July Celebration in Uganda ---I know I’ve said this before but ---I so wish the mini videos I took of the party could be part of this Blog, because they are hysterical! Waltraud, Dr. Damian’s wife decided we should sing our National Anthem , so Lisa and I gave it a shot: We were awful!((Rosanne Barr sounded good next to us)-ha. Come on, admit it our National Anthem is not an easy song for anybody (except my Heather) to sing, but to make it worse, we forgot the words! How embarrassing!
----Then each represented country, sang their National Anthem and, of course, the Ugandan were best.:partially because there were more of them but partially because it is much easier to sing. Waltraud sang both with the Ugandans AND joined Marike in the German Anthem as well.. Eveline and Liecha from Holland did a credible job, while the girls from the UK pretty much giggled thru “God save the Queen”.

Waltraud sang the German Anthem
and the Ugandan one, as well

The UK quartet pretty much giggled thru "God save the Queen"
























Holland's two sounded pretty darn good






-------Then comes dear Sheba with his drums to get us up off our logs and dancing--



















-----------God bless AMERICA


+ Uganda and England and Germany and Holland and the UK


-----------God bless the World



The best I could do were a few flares for fireworks, but , hey, it worked!
Marshmallows around an open fire were both yummy and a whole new experience for many of the guests.















LET THERE BE PEACE ON EARTH AND LET IT BEGIN WITH ME!






























0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home