News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Saturday, October 09, 2010

----------HIV Testing Outreach -------------------- Bubuywe, Uganda

Come journey with me as I recall October 2008 Uganda--
----This is our workspace: When we have all our stuff out and ready to go--the people arrive, sometimes in droves, sometimes one by one. It often depends on how well they have been previously "mobilized"-- When we arrived in Bubuywe, we found that the doors were all locked except this one, which had no door. It became our work space-smile. No electricity, no water, minimal light from a small window, but lots of wasps to keep us company-ha



Notice, I somehow manage to bring a little "pink" into my world, where-ere I may be.

--Here I am testing one of the health care workers. Note the door leaning on the wall in the back? That's why we were able to use this room--it didn't have any door, let alone a locked one-smile ---So beautiful and so hilly, yet many villagers walk miles to be tested.


-This awesome view is one of the things that make the often long arduous drives over bumpy roads worth the trip.
Some have asked about the Determine Rapid HIV Tests we perform while on Outreaches. Note the red line on the top of each test--that is the control. Note number 134, which also has a red line thru the bottom of the test. That indicates a positive response. We then do a second test called Stat-Pac and if that is positive, then the person is considered HIV+, if it is negative, there is a third tie breaker called Uni Gold.
-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home