News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Monday, February 06, 2012

Valentine Memories


                                       Valentine's Day has always been special for me(and my family), as it was the day      my parents met and, according to my Dad, it was love at first sight. He told me that when he arrived at the Barn Dance on my mothers property and saw her "across a crowded room" he knew she was the love of his life and would be his partner in marriage. She, on the other hand was "going steady" with a guy named Bob, so my father had to find a way to seperate them, if only for a minute, to charm her. He did this by giving someone a nickel to give to "Bob" to play the jukebox, while the muscians took a break. This ploy apparently worked as they soon met, married and I and my two sisters and eventually my two nieces are the fruit of that marriage
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Reprint of Valentine's Day 2010

------But back to the near present 2007, as it was the day Diana and I landed on Ugandan soil and last year I had a Valentine Party with both babies Michael and Daniel present.

-----This year was just as memorable , as my helper Bernedette asked me to be the godmother of her son "Obama" who was born June 13th, with me present for this miraculous occasion. I only later realized that both Michael and Obama were exactly 8 mo. old when I became their American godmother.
Fr. John Vianney, our hospital Chaplain, chose to perform the ceremony in the local language, so I am not sure what I agreed to (ha) but, as with Michael, I will go everything in my power to "be there" for Obama in the most holistic of ways.




Purchasing the boys outfits was a feat in itself: At 8 mo. of age Obama fits nicely into size 12 mo. clothes but they are not easy to find, especially white and for boys. You see "cross-dressing" is the norm here in Uganda until about age 3 years, so although I could find a zillion frilly white dresses for his special day, I could just not expand my conciousness that far. Obama is a boy--that is that! Ha . While shopping for this sweet godson, I came upon the size two white tux and knew it would fit Michael perfectly and it did. He adapted quite easily to formal wear and as he walked, crawled, skipped around the chuch, everyone had full advantage of this spiffy young man.
Only two years ago, at exactly the same age as Obama (but only weighing 7lbs) I held him in my arms as he was baptized ; Hugh"Michael". Today, Timothy"Obama" at double that weight, became my second Ugandan godchild. How blessed I have been since arriving here in Uganda, exactly 3 years ago today--Valentines Day 2007.
Perhaps my favorite photo:
Michael, who had been sauntering around the altar during the babtism, is looking up at Fr. John as he performs the ceremony, as is Obama. Bernedette and I, on the other hand, are sharing a reverant moment of the blessing of the baptismal candle.






-Marie and her godsons (Michael and Obama) and Mama Obama-Bernedette








3 Comments:

  • At Tue Feb 23, 01:28:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Marie. Happy Love Day to you, each and every day. This Valentine Blog was THE best because it is a most beautiful picture of what your time in Uganda represents:true and abiding friendship, deep and joyous faith, selfless service, hospitality of heart,devotion,honor,generosity,hospitality, loyalty, steadfastness, maturity and community.
    You keep walking (and skipping and dancing) with a love that can only be fueled by an outrageous passion for God and His children. So many doors seem to open for you, Marie, because in your spiritual maturity you no longer spend much time analyzing, explaining, fixing, judging or fearing. You seem to know how to simply trust and act. That can only happen in the fire of love's knowing and experiencing. Thank you for sharing on this site. Especially for us who are not doing 'facebook'. I wish you could know how each entry has blessed, inspired, encouraged,and often, entertained. We are better folks for it. I know your next adventure will also be hand picked by God. He has many surprises left and so do you. Our prayers are especially with you these days of transition. Bitter sweet but just as necessary, in the path of love. I can see the infusion of grace being poured into you from every person to touched. You will leave with their blessing beyond imagination, and continue to carry each in your heart. Hopefilled reunion will manifest in God's good time, in days ahead and then finally, fully and forever, in Heaven.
    We love you bunches,dear and beloved friend...mj and kj

     
  • At Thu Feb 25, 05:54:00 PM , Anonymous Arky Brian said...

    You hadn't shared that story of first love with your parents to me. It is truely romantic and the meaning of Valentines Day Love. You all look so nice in your best attire. I Love that outfil your wearing Marie. I know you will be bringing back some beautiful cloths with you when you return to the states. Thanks again for sharing your memories with the world. We love you and continue to voice you in our prayers.

     
  • At Sun May 06, 01:45:00 AM , Blogger myloveletters said...

    I can't wait to see these kids! Please pray my Visa and the trip comes through... Mubin.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home