News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thanksgiving 2008+ 2011-- For what is and what has been

November 20, 2011 --------My favorite pic of my Cousin George with the loves of his life--his boys

A reprint of  a blog written three years ago--when my beloved cousin George was taken to the heavens.

Dear Friends
Two weeks ago I expected to be celebrating both Thanksgiving and Christmas in Uganda, but God had other plans, I received notice that my beloved cousin George had died from a heart attack. And his dear sons Brian and David Tague insisted on flying me home for the funeral. In 36 hrs I went from Uganda to Rwanda to Brussels to Chicago to Philadelphia., arriving at the funeral home for the Viewing Sunday evening. Unbelievable!
Losing George is very sad for me personally as we were very close (my parents having a major influence in raising him). Also he was very good at keeping up via the internet and even calling me in Uganda about once a month. In fact we had just had a skype to skype (computer to computer) conversation on Sunday, apparently only hours before his untimely death.
I am grateful to Brian and his wife Barbara (remember I attended their wedding 3 years ago?) for hosting me at their beautiful Conshohocken home and to George’s younger son, David Hugh (who also happens to be my godson-smile) for arranging this trip for me and to my friend Sheba for making it all come together on the African side
Thanks also to Elisabet from Sweden, who was in Uganda at the time and somehow packed my bags and got me on the road, with passport in hand..
David- George-Brians wife " Reindeer Barbara "and Brian holding Annabell-their pooch

I will tell you more about George later,but for now, I just want all to know I arrived in time for the Viewing and the Funeral the next day, visited with Heather Sunday night and my sister Theresa all day Monday, saw Jolie and her adorable children, visited with friends and cousins: Mary and Dick Shoaf (Thanks for buying me the shoes, as I only arrived in sandals),   Peggy Quinn Garafolo (brought me a soft Phila. Pretzel in memory of all the ones we ate in grade school at St. Margarets in Narberth (where Peg is a teacher now) . I also spent time with Pat, my cousin Georges girlfriend for the last + decade. He was blessed to have such a lovely unassuming woman in his life, who accepted him 100% as is, without alteration. This love was repaid recently when George helped Pat thru Breast Cancer , even shaving his head when she lost her hair from the chemotherapy.


. -----------------------George and his sons Brian and David-such a proud Dad!

Cousin George and me as younguns-smile -----------Cousin George and me at Brian and Barbara's wedding--about 3+ years ago




1 Comments:

  • At Tue Nov 25, 11:09:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So very amazing to hear your voice, Marie. It's like no time went by at all. It's more weird to think you are walking around on this continent, smile, hanging out and making loving contact with this part of the planet. Hope your senses and sensibilities are not too overwhelmed.
    This is when I wish I had extra money or a credit card ( we paid them off and cut them up ) to just hope on a plane and meet you for an afternoon or day together. So, for sure, I will call you at Cynthia's.
    Until we speak again, Thanksgiving thoughts, prayers and joyful gratitude extend to you on this whirlwind excursion. It was exhausting just to consider the events of the first week.
    Your trip from Kisoro sounded like something from "Raiders of the Lost Ark", when they show the map of his going from one spot to another.
    So, glad you were brought here, 'special delivery' to be with family during this most significant time. What a generous heart those guys have. Kindred souls are just what's needed during loss and homesickness. Connections are the loving glue to help keep us grounded and comforted.
    My prayer is that you get time to rest, and lots more time to visit, be refreshed, well fed, entertained, and then to gather things to take back in a suitcase on your return. That's a lot cheaper than shipping. You can always use some of the stuff in the "Christmas Care package" for next year. But, knowing you, you don't need any reason to be decorate or declare a celebration. Your whole life echos that refraine.
    So, talk to you soon. love ya, mj and kj, too.....hugs....

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home