News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

That was Then-(July 2007), This is Now------- --------------------(July -2009)

Michael was born July 18, 2007 at Kisoro Hospital, where his twin died at birth. He and his mother were transferred to St. Francis and at only 0.9kg (less than 2lbs) weight and since his mother had a heart condition and delivered at 6 mo. gestation, neither were expected to live. Three days later his dear mother- Ida-, did indeed go to the heavens, leaving him a simple white, with pink fringe, blanket for him to be buried in.

As you know, Michael chose not to join his birth mother but hung on in the Nursery until I came into his life in September 2007. Palm Sunday of 2008 he was Baptized HUGH MICHAEL at St. Francis Hospital Chapel by Fr. John Vianney (though since there is no "UG" sound in the local language, will always be known as only Michael in Uganda. He lived with me until the summer of 2008, when he went to live at Potters Village, a home in Kisoro Uganda, for Vulnerable Children.

Soon he will join my helper Bernedette and her husband and brand new baby (her first) Obama , in their home and they will be a family. I will always be Grammy to both Michael and Baby Obama, as I was there for his birth and he also has entered my heart.

Bernedette and her young husband will take Michael in as soon as they have proper housing, which in US terms costs about $500!
---------My all time favorite of my adorable Two Year Old Little Boy!
----------Is he cute or what in his denim outfit?
----------Am I cute or what in my Obama "Yes We Can" shirt?
----OK Grammy, I am finished reading this book. Bring on the next.
--This was Valentine Weekend 2009. Michael and Baby Daniel, who now lives in Potters Village with him, were getting a bit of sun while we took in the laundry.
------Michael and I will always be very close, no matter the distance. I was" Mama Michael" but am now "GRAMMY", though I'll always be his godmother.

It is a ball, Michael, not something to eat!

In this photo---I am wearing traditional toga like garb, while my helper and Michael's future Foster Mom ----Bernedette--- is wearing her first pair of slacks. Oct. 2008
-----Michael eats anything: Ugandan food as well as American Rice Crispies (Ha) But unlike his friends , he usually prefers a plate and sometimes insists on eating with a spoon. How un-african of him! In this pic he is savoring a very small type, but o, so sweet, banana.
---This was taken just at the point when walking meant holding onto furniture, which is no longer the case.
--- These shots of Michael is his black pants and vest, I call "My Little Man" pics. I just picked up a similar outfit in the thrift shop for "going to church". Only this outfit will actually have a clip on tie, like my Daddy used to wear (smile)
-------Getting a bath in Uganda is the same for any size child. Same tub the clothes get washed in as well
------Michael enjoys that he is the mascot of all the Nursing Students (some , of whom, met him as a newborn.

-----That's right, Michael, just one foot in front of the other. You can do it!

-----Michael likes to redecorate my home when he comes to visit. Here he is repositioning a wonderful home made gift given to me by my dear friend Lynn

1 Comments:

  • At Tue Aug 18, 03:32:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dear Marie, These photos will always be an inspiration for me and for the kiddos at my school. There is so much love radiating from this bright and precious soul. It is a reminder to me of what an infusion of kindness can do for anyone. To see and understand his transformation, and your own, is to add purpose to my days and remind me that every hug, kind word, smile, time shared, child noticed and valued, as well as all the ways prayer can be transported come together to lift a spirit higher and make a burden lighter.
    Isn't God amazing. He will use any of us 'raggamuffins'. Even the tiniest 'yes' is an invitation. Love and hugs mj P.S. I know you are still in the states but I just wanted to respond to these pictures.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home