News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

BARTON BROOKS-- An Update


Just a little over 21/2 months ago, Barton and a Ugandan friend Anthony were in a serious motorcycle accident. He spent a weekend with us at St. Francis Hospital –Mutolere, then a week in Kampala for surgery and rest, until his dear mother and brother came to “rescue” him.
After a bit of a horrendous trip in the friendly skies, he landed safely in New York City. More surgeries in a NYC hospital, followed by a little rest and lots of physical therapy. He writes that he is continuing his recovery in Utah with his family close at hand.


-----At the Kisoro airport seeing Bartons airplane take off were: Myself, Fr. Ignaius, Dr. Damian and Dr. Lou Coda


It may be a while before he is himself again (walking several miles just to reach the Batwa Village, before even starting the work to build a hut or start a garden) but I have no doubt we will see him here again in Uganda fulfilling his mission statement, that states *“Just go somewhere, do something and teach someone else to do it also ” If you care to learn more about Barton and his work just click on http://www.guerrillaaid.com/ or http://www.globalcolors.org/
Check out this video of Barton in action. Just heard from him that he hopes to return to Uganda this Fall to continue his work helping the Batwa People.
, http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=87939194378&ref=mf

-----Barton in Kenya, prior to coming to Uganda. Reminds me of Ramar of the Jungle (opps showing my age-smile)



Referring to his time at St, Francis Hospital-Mutolere Barton wrote in his web site: I stayed there for 3 days to stabilize and until we could arrange a plane to come get me, and while there I was incredibly blessed to have Dr. Robert, his wife, and my angel of mercy, Marie McGee taking care of me. Marie is a nurse from the U.S. in Uganda on a medical mission who made sure I was comfortable, bringing me food from home, helping me get painkillers, and overall just calming my soul. She was a complete godsend for me... She wrote of the experience on her blog “Who is Barton Brooks” March 2009 http://mariemcgee.blogspot.com/



His thank you note to me had similar sentiments:
I can never thank you enough for all your help, you truly saved my life, and as I watch the footage of me lying there in the clinic in Kisoro and start thinking what could have happened (surgery etc) and how by the grace of god I survived, well, it's amazing to me... YOU kept my pain down, brought me food from home, and the brightness of your smile made me believe i wasn't alone despite being about as far as I could be from my home, friends and family... You were truly an angel sent by God for me those few days, and I will be forever grateful to Him and to you for the miracles you performed for me following my accident..With much love and thanks,
Barton





-----A Collage of Barton being transferred from our hospital to the airsrip in Kisoro That's me in picture one and four and five)


Bless you Barton and bless your family as they help you through his time of recovery. We eagerly await your return to Uganda
-------------Marie


·*** Have you ever heard a more meaningful, simple, yet profound “mission statement” in your life? Talk about getting straight to the heart of the matter!!

---When Barton First arrived at St. Francis Hospial, he was is bad shape, but his hair looked great (our personal joke) Here he is with Nursing Student Edwinah, anoher one of my "kids", who was kind enough to call and tell me of Bartons accident.






1 Comments:

  • At Fri Jul 24, 05:46:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hello Marie, long time? um finally on the net after along time. May God bless you. I saw how Michael has grown and you can't believe it. He is just a pretty boy and so strong.

    Was Bartons story real? Because i can't imagine that you saved him.
    How is everyone there? send my regards and hope to hear from you soon.

    Catch up with you.
    Halimah

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home