News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Friday, June 20, 2008

----------The Dance Of Life---

---------------------------Lake Mutanda, Kisoro, Uganda-------
Dear Friends

WARNING: This is not my typical upbeat Blog, so unless you want to read “the whole story” skip this one and move on.

Usually my personal processing is kept within or shared with a few select friends in a JJJ= Jabber Jabber Journal letter, but something tells me there is someone out there who might benefit by my ruminations, so be it.


Lay Mission Helpers has a policy, that I don’t recall hearing, that we are not to adopt or keep a child permanently,. so I have to give Michael up by the end of June

I had already started this process both in prayer and in action but my timetable and my mission group’s did not match, so Michael will soon be moving to a orphanage in Kisoro named “Potters Village”. It is a wonderful place , started by Rev. Jenny Green, an Anglican Priest from England, who has served as a missionary, herself in this country for 14yrs. and has two Ugandan adopted children of her own.



--------Potters Village- Children's Home--Kisoro, Uganda---




,

We are making the transition slowly-:from one day to one night then 2 nights etc., By July he will be living there permanently with “home visits to his godmothers house-smile


----------------------Nkuring Safari Lodge

-------------Lake Mutanda, Kisoro, Uganda June 14, 2008

Here I sit writing in my work note book because, although I suspected I might not be able to use my computer here, it never crossed my mind to pack paper and pen. Fortunately “ I had my work fanny pack with a notepad in it and “thanks Bon-Bon for my mini

bejeweled pink pen, which fits perfectly in my mini purse.

This weekend at Lake Mutanda was a long time coming, as I tried two times before and had to cancel out. I was beginning to think this would be –three strikes and you are out--, but I finally arrived at six pm last evening, thanks to rides from Dr. Leonard to take Michael to Potters Village,then dear friend Sheba for transport here and back on Sunday.


The first thing I noticed was how far I have come in a year—how holistically different I have become: A year ago when David from Lay Mission Helpers was visiting, our hospital driver took us for a tour of Lake Mutanda. He suggested we might take a walk down a hilly path to see the Lodge. Well we did and admittantly David, who is older than I, was in much better physical shape than I, as this “hill” turned into a steep mountain, not more than a ½ mile long but slippery as can be. Well I slipped, skidded and huffed and puffed, thinking this will be the first and last time I take this trek.

Now a year later, I have walked it 4 times and as I descended the “hill” wearing a very very heavy backpack and carrying an equally heavy bag, all I could think of was “why did I think this was so difficult?”

So, physically, besides losing 40 pounds, I am more fit than ever.


Holistic implies “Body, Mind and Spirit” and the second two are what has called me to this “time apart”.

Having to give Michael up to an uncertain future may be the hardest thing I’ve ever done. I have experienced every emotion in the book and am hopeful I’ll leave this place tomorrow with some sense of peace .If that happens, it will be a surprising gift , as, at the moment, some 18 hrs. since my arrival, the heartbreak is at an all time high.

Every thing I read from Livings Faiths “Loving God, give me the courage to be honest with you, with others and with myself.” To my daily reading from “The Color of Light, “(for those infected and affected with AIDS)—a quote from writer Emmanuel which reads “Accept your Humanness as well as your Divinity, totally without reserve. And do not shut out the fear, do not deny anything that seems negative to you” Then onto a quote from Shakti Gawain that reads “ Sadness is related to the opening of the heart. If you allow yourself to feel sad, especially if you can cry, you will find that your heart opens more and you can feel more love.” And then onto the song playing on my MP3 player “The reason I am here is for Love”

Accordingly, I have set aside the hope for peace today and instead am allowing, dare I say “honoring”, the holy tears that escape from my saddened eyes.

I do indeed feel sad and it is the one emotion, of the many I have experienced, which I have fought, resisted and denied. It, somehow, seemed selfish to allow sadness to creep into my life, when joyfulness has been my life’s goal. Yet, I am heeding the guidance that is coming to me and giving “Sadness” free reign.


Truly a Room With A View---from my self contained tent I can see Lake Mutanda and hear a cacophony of birds

Later in the day-----------------------

Though I had arranged only bed and breakfast , Powerman, the owner of this Lodge, insisted that I have a bowl of his Pumpkin Soup for lunch and dinner. Well if you had ever tasted his pumpkin soup and his wife’s equally scrumptious home made dinner rolls, you’d know why I accepted his kind offer..

So, as I await this nourishment, (truly holistic nourishment), I am sitting quite comfortable in the Lodge, with a toasty fireplace, viewing Lake Mutanda, which today could be called Ocean Mutanda.

Truly if you close your eyes: the sound of the wind thru the trees, the waves lapping at the shore, even the scent of salt in the air (ok, maybe it is just the soup brewing-smile).

Then you open your eyes and those sounds become visual as there are indeed white capped waves creeping onto the land line, while the trees sway beautifully to the -Call of the Wind.

The contrast of the staid mountains enhances the entire effect and I feel a speck (though be it a significant speck) in the Dance Of Life




For now the tears have subsided and I can feel a gentle smile budding within me, as I indulge myself in memories: There is Michael, of course, in the mornings as he wakes and rolls over toward me with a smile only a baby angel could have, and gently touches my face.
But there are other memories that increase my smiling heart----so so many memories; my fathers Irish humor, my mothers giggles (whether she got his jokes or not). Memories of all the years of shared family laughter. I doubt there was ever a family that had more fun together than the McGee’s. Then, when my sister Theresa married Bob and their children joined our table, the joy of family was only enhanced.

It is not that way now, hasn’t been for many years. But when I feel sad about the loss of my family, I simply remember and realize that what I enjoyed for near 50 years, some people have never even tasted.
-----------------------I have had a blessed life and I know it!

MARIE---------------------

Part two: next time

2 Comments:

  • At Fri Jun 20, 04:14:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I really like this entry. It shows us how you have hurts like we all do. Don't get me wrong I do love to hear about your blessings but I also want to hear about your concerns so I can intercede to our heavenly Father for you (not saying I have any clout, but He like to hear from all of us with specific concerns as well as general concerns). I do feel for you as you prepare for your loss. The beauty that you have engulfed yourself in is absolutly breathtaking. You are blessed with the creativity of the artist above. I know that it will be tough when Michael leaves your home but hopefully you will be able to see him regularly and the Lord will send you someone or something to take the place of that void. I wish I could afford to come over there and visit with you but I guess that just isn't in the almightys plan? May God continue to bless you throughout the sadness, difficulties, struggles and happy times.

    My love is with you always

    P.S. Keep up the GREAT work.

     
  • At Sat Jun 21, 03:43:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Blessed Marie, This is truly an experience your friends can only witness and then lift you up in prayer. It is so deeply personal. Thank you for just sharing your heart, right here and now. 'Arky Brian' is right, it is a gift you give us and helps us know how to pray. In this case it is a prayer of trust, absolute trust, that you are being watched over and directed. So is beloved Michael. It is said that the deeper the pain the heart experiences and shares with others, the deeper and truer the well of compassion to be drawn from in each subsequent act of attentiveness, kindness and offering. We can only companion you in spirit and extend the optimism that comes from seeing God's hand so constant in your life so far, believing that He is ever near your sorrow. Letting go has been such a part of your emotional DNA. So, is the perseverance and willingness to accept.
    That Lake and the mountains and surrounding landscape, surely magnifies your heart at this time. The many ways the colors change and the movement of the water and clouds with the solid background of rock and height. There you are in your little tree house/hut. rooted and in the midst of all of this - finding once again the still center point where you KNOW the truth and can experience the purest consolation. It is so hard to genuinely feel and be real - but the "Velveteen rabbit", with his fir worn off by love, will testify to it's reality, up front and persona; Not viewed safely, from afar, plopped up on some shelf for display only.Nope, like he, you are right where you are suppose to be, literally, in the 'thick of things'.
    Peace be with you, in these moments. You are not alone. Love, mj and kj

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home