News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

----Baptism of Hugh "Michael"


---------HUGH MICHAEL’S BAPTISM—

Palm Sunday March 16, 2008 is a day to remember always—for me, for Michael, for many of those who love us .It was a particularly beautiful day, sunshine without rain and just the perfect temperature for such an occasion.


The day and night before had been hectic with preparation and I questioned the choice to “Celebrate” with so much African-American Festivities. My dear friends Carol and Bill had cooked and cooked and cooked, as dear Robina had convinced me that a “meal” must be served, not just cake. After all, besides my community and friends, Michaels’s biological family was coming for the day.

So the potatoes were cooked, the stew meat had simmered to the perfect tenderness thru the night, the chapati was rolled and ready to be fried. Robina had prepared the matooke and we even had rice (it is quite common here to serve potatoes and rice at the same meal) Bill realized we had minimal soft drinks, so made a huge batch of iced tea ( not too iced but quite well received).

.


Our Tour Guide-turned friend, Sheba, arrived with a helper to “put it all together” into a sumptuous Ugandan meal, while we, in our dress up clothes, all walked to join the Procession outside the church obtaining our unblessed palms, which, with the help of Fr. John DeVinney soon were blessed to represent Christ’s arrival into Jerusalem to accomplish his paschal mystery.

My dress was a gift from Immaculate, a lovely young Ugandan nurse and mother, who decided it was time I had a dress made in a local style. I chose a dress with an Indian influence, but Immaculate chose the pink lavender material without even knowing about my affinity toward pink, in every hue. The result was gorgeous!

I was only outdone by Michael himself who wore the Baptismal dress first worn by my sister Theresa some 54 years ago( as a gift from her godmother Peggy Niehmeyer) , then worn by several babies including Theresa’s daughter Heather, when I was her godmother in 1975..

Michael was just the right size, for the fancy dress, at 8 mo .of age, and though he looked adorable in all the flounce, it will be his last dress, if I have anything to do with it-smile.

Though “cross-dressing” is quite common here until a child is about three years old, I don’t think I’ll ever adapt to the frilly dresses of the, very obviously, little boys I care for.


Fr. John incorporated the Baptism beautifully into the Palm Sunday Celebration.: He invited Michael and I, as well as Michael Fraternal grandmother and Sr. Vastina, Charge Nurse of Maternity and the reason Michael made it thru those first couple of months)., to come up to the altar, while he explained that though it was the custom that a boy have a godfather and a girl a godmother, it was not Canon Law.,so that all would understand why I was the only godparent standing up for Michael .He must have done a good job as I was warmly accepted by all

Michael father Robert was unable to attend as he is working in Kampala, but gave him the sur name: Nteziyaremye, which means “waiting to be with God”. I’ll never understand the concept of “picking” a sur name in this country, but so be it. Fr. John Vinney proposed that I also choose another name for Michael and though he may never use it(unless he grows up in the USA-smile) I named him after my father :Hugh. So since everything is said and written backwards in this country, his official name is --------------:NTEZIYAREME HUGH "MICHAEL"


Emmanuel took a wonderful video of the entire event, seemingly not a bit shy about getting right up close and filming each beautiful symbolic movement , as Father poured the water over Michael head and wrapped him in the white cloth..

As we walked back to our seats, the choir sang “Like a sunflower—follows every movement of the sun---so I turn toward you, to follow you—my God.” This simply tune with it’s equally simple message, was one of the first songs we learned liturgical

movement to at “the Casa”-Franciscan Renewal Center- in Scottsdale, Arizona

Now , some 30 years later., here I was holding a beautiful Ugandan child of God, mouthing the words , as his godmother. As I have said many times—God has so much more in store for me than I could ever imagine!-



Next , I’ll tell you about the Party that followed, so stay tuned and , as always, enjoy the pictures.

-----------------------------------------Blessings--------------------

-----------------------------------------MARIE---------------------- .

2 Comments:

  • At Sun Jun 15, 05:05:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a joyful experience....all entries. All the special touches and serendipities....Your 'Godmother' dress is beautiful! Knowing the significance of Michael's Baptismal outfit, and one of his names "Hugh" made me smile. I loved the Sunflower song that was included as well as the addition of Sheba, now friend. That dancing, gathering, kids, family, extended family, friends, and even the 'tobacco bumming lady' - well, all that was needed was to get out the popcorn and put my glasses on for such entertainment. Thanks again, Marie. These entries REALLY are inspirational, insightful and welcomed. Peace and love to you today! mj and kj

     
  • At Sun Jun 22, 11:11:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I doing catch up on your blog.
    The baptism and party look like so much fun. Love you, Rebecca

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home