News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

--Holiday at Home with Carol and Bill

-----------------Mutolere Primary School---Bill talking to Dennis a teacher--
I love these two pictures taken of Carol while scavenging for flowers to decorate my home.



Me and Michael sitting out front getting some sun





Dear Friends

We were able to return to my home at St. Francis Hospital, Mutolere, the same day we trekked gorilla’s, as Kisoro is only a hop skip and a jump away from Rwanda .Of course for Bill it wasn’t returning, as it was for Carol and I, but his first time to see the home and the life I have been living the last 12 months.. Actually his first time in Uganda, though he had lived in Africa many years ago as a student.



Emmanuel harvesting Avocadoes-smile





Carol bathing Michael


















Bill feeding Michael


Jennifer and Robina watching movies on the computer in my bedroom














I was so proud of the “ life” I have created here in Uganda, both emotionally and physically. It felt very reassuring to have a friend of some 28 years compliment my home and lifestyle..

Robina had flowers on the table and at each bedside and following getting settled in our rooms and showering with my wonderful instant heater (an electrical hookup that just heats the water as it comes thru the shower, we sat down to a pleasant African Meal of cooked pumpkin among other things.


Emmanuel teaching Carol to make capati






Now we are eating the capati !















Carol and Bill doing their laundry-Ugandan style!










How many can you fit into Marie's tiny kitchen?















Sitting down to bless our food and friendship : Bill, Robina and Carol





Bill had his own private quarters in the cook house bedroom and was able to get away from all the girls for short respites when necessary-smile.

We were actually here all together for only 8 days before we set off on our next Tour, but they were jammed pack full of activities, parties and enjoying Baby Michael.

My kitchen is tiny and both Carol and Bill love to cook (which pleased me to the core), so it seems that a lot of the “at home” photos could be labeled “How many people can you fit in Marie’s kitchen?” Ha

My friend Emmanuel taught Carol how to make capati, a flat bread that is delicious alone or with anything on it or in it—yummy.. Carol became an expert and in no time flat ( am I punny or what?) she was making capati for breakfast, lunch and dinner, even as chips for guacamole.

Since we have avocado trees just outside my yard, we even picked our own (actually they were a bit high in the tree, so Emmanuel knocked them down by throwing a broom up into the tree)..

I worked a little while Bill was here, so that he and Carol might experience a bit of my daily life. One of those days we walked to the local primary school so that I might distribute Albendazole for deworming to over 1000 children! Twice a year in March and October the government distributes this medicine for Public Health to give to all the school age children.


..
Me handing out Albendazole for deworming to over 1000 children



2 Comments:

  • At Tue May 27, 11:45:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Marie. Warm smiles and hugs to you and Michael. Hoping you are finding a peaceful way through your many responsibilities and the rhythm of the days. Loved the Kitchen pictures - It's always fun to have friends hanging out and cooking together, even with little elbow room, each seems to find their little space and it works.
    Loved the pictues of Carol, the flowers and again, friends, old and new, just 'being' together.
    Our kiddos are off to summer break and the staff is finishing up and prepping for their return. It's been a great year. My contract renewed, I continue on as their happy nurse. I love the kids and staff. I've got a relaxing summer ahead with some mini adventures and projects awaiting. Love you, Marie. With Joy, mj

     
  • At Sat May 31, 05:39:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You are blessed. Our Love to you and yours..

    Brian & James

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home