News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Memorial Day In South Africa

Though South Africa doesn’t celebrate Memorial Day, this has certainly been a Memorial Day weekend I’ll never forget: Starting with the death of two babies.
So sad, but apparently such a rare occurrence these days, with the ART meds.

Lorenzo was over a year old, but seemed a 3 month old in size and strength. Both his parents and a sister, Logan, live here, but not together as we only have facilities for mothers with children, one for men, and another for babies. So Lorenzo was in the baby ward, Debby, the mom, in a closet size room with the 3 yr. old Logan, and Dad with the men.

Many nights I’d see Vincent, the dad, in the nursery holding his son and playing with him, but I never saw Debby there. I am not sure if she had mentally removed herself from her son or what, but she hardly showed any emotion before or after his passing.

Vincent is a warm and loving dad who I enjoyed spending time conversing with. The best description I have of their appearance is they look Hispanic, but here they are referred to as colored. Black, Colored and White are used as descriptions, not in any way derogatory. If you are of mixed race, you are colored, no matter how white and/or black you may be.

The funeral was yesterday and it was very moving The musical trio was awesome . All in all, it was a sad but inspiring afternoon.

The other sweet baby's name is Phephile. She has been hospitalized most of her short life, but I did spend a day with her two weeks ago when we took her to the AIDS Clinic. I thought she was blind, with little neurological, response. It seemed the virus was too far along in her system and she never became well enough to treat. I know nothing about her funeral or family but I will be present to help send her to Gods loving arms.

I am now so busy, that it is difficult to find time to “blog”, so I haven’t time to share the happy stories of the week. But believe it or not, there are many.

This morning at mass I remembered my parent and sister and all the friends that reside with them in the heavens. I have lost so many friends from this disease, that I feel a piece of my heart resides in the heavens already.

Have a lovely weekend

Marie

2 Comments:

  • At Sun May 28, 07:18:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Busy is good!

    Let me know when the package comes

    We will use the same meditation this week that we did last. It is a good one for all of us.

    Keep up the good work!
    Jennifer

     
  • At Fri Jun 02, 01:10:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So sorry to hear of the two babies. Sounds like "they had fought a good fight but they had finished their race," to quote St. Paul. You keep on loving and being you to whomever you come into contact -- just the way you always do.
    Jonathan sends love and kisses and -- he wishes he were with you -- he's back (for now) from South America and it's nice visiting with him and just having him around. We did alittle planting last night in the front bed.
    Bert's sends a big "HI, Sweet Marie!" he's on his way to West Memphis to clean his Mom's gutters and do some work around her home. Jonathan and I are going to do some cooking together for the freezer for the long fews weeks I'll be at Mayo. I'm sending my HUG -- feel it?
    Love You, Miss You and thinking and Praying for you always --Aren't we so blessed to have loving friends?
    Becky

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home