News from Africa, Arkansas and Anywhere I happen to be at the moment

Follow me as I "Celebrate the Journey" of my life: Recently in Kisoro Uganda,for three years as a medical missionary(Lay Mission Helper-www.laymissionhelper.org) working with those infected and affected with HIV-AIDS, Public Health and babies at risk. Presently,in Arkansas awaiting my next "Call" to service.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Chilly, Chilly, Downright Cold-Burr

Yesterday it turned so cold here, we actually had a hail storm. I ran outside to help a friend take the laundry off the clothes line and now I have a Cold-ug!
Besides sneezing and coughing and blowing my nose, I had a quiet weekend so far.
For the first, and probably the only, time I am alone in the guest house, but even with the electric heater and a gas heater on full blast, I sit here trying to type with gloves on-ha.
No need to feel sorry for me as I am usually more than comfortable in this home. I have had my own room and will have until a young woman from the States arrives on tues.. Her name is Emily and she has volunteered here before, but that is all I know about my soon to be roommate.. This past Wed. four students from Vanderbilt Univ. arrived and they all share a room. Apparently Joanne’s dad lives in Johannesburg and she was here last year. They are all pre-med students, so I enjoyed their help with the assessments last week.
I also did assessments on the ambulatory adults this week, which I really enjoyed, as I got to converse with them and now I think we know each other a bit. I had a great conversation with “Ben”, a charming man who actually plays with the kids. He has severe neuropathy and I had brought some neurontin (thanks James) from home. When I found out that he was going to the neurologist the next day, I sent it with him with a note to his Dr. The Dr. was thrilled, as neurotin is unavailable in South Africa. Ben is thrilled too, as he feels it will help his walking and decrease his discomfort level. So if anyone has access to Neurotin, please mail it to me!
I also met a beautiful 22 yr. old woman with a two year old son,who has TB and, of course, AIDS. She had terrible thrush in her mouth and didn’t seem to know it could be treated. All she asked for was something for panic attacks. Bless her heart, Candace has good reason for panic attacks. So I gave her something for her mouth, hugged her and promised I’d try to help her with her anxiety.
The one consolation I could offer is that here she is in a safe place with people who care, and that her sweet little boy is being treated for TB and HIV-AIDS and, hopefully, will live a long life. Thinking about the fact that at 22 yrs, she has so much to contend with, humbled me. I’ll try to get a pic of this beautiful mother and son and share it with you.
Speaking of photos, my friend Carolyn has put my camera-computer connection in the mail-Yahoo.!But since I have yet to receive my big box I sent myself 6 weeks ago, we’ll see-humm
I did receive mail this week! Thanks Bon, Dana and nurse Sharon. Those pics of Laney graduating from kindergarten are priceless!
South African Blessings to you all,
Marie

2 Comments:

  • At Mon May 22, 12:36:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sweetie, so sorry to hear you've caught a cold yourself. I was afraid you weren't taking care of your own self after the surgery like you should be. I'm sending BIG Hugs -- stand close -- do you fell them? Wish I could send chicken soup!! Bert believes it's the remendy for everything. Still feeling I'm a part of everything as I read your weekly blogs -- I love to hear how beatifully you're getting to minister love to all these special people, you make those of us who love you here at home fell a still feel part of your life.
    Jonathan is in La Paz as we speak -- the group is building a church this time -- Who does he sound like?
    All Our Love,
    Becky

     
  • At Mon May 22, 03:19:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just to let you know that I am reading. E-Mail to follow.
    Lots of love,
    Jennifer

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home